I have been trying to get a homemade mushroom gravy. There are some recipes online and I could not really get the texture that I expect (based on the images). This time it is a winner (after 3 attempts).
Here are the ingredients, it may me necessary to adjust based on the Pork chops weight. Total cook time is 20 mins.
- Pork chops 2 medium pieces. about 300 grams.
- 6 medium sized garlic cloves
- 6 button mushrooms sliced
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Beef broth
- Half cube Knorr Beef Cubes
- 200 ml water
- 20 grams butter
- 1/4 small sized white onion
- Black pepper
- Cooking oil
- 10 grams corn starch
Pork chops will get hard when pan fried.. I found out that this can worked around by marinating it overnight. The Pork chops will be soft and chewy as long as it is not overcooked.
I used garlic powder because my minced garlic is just not small enough to dissolve during cooking, this also produces many lumps when the corn starch is added. As for the cooking oil it is preferable to use olive oil, this mixes with the gravy. At first I was using Canola and I find the gravy greasy. As for the broth making your own maybe better.
- Clean the pork chops with running water making sure the blood and red stuff is removed from the bone
- Flatten the garlic cloves leaving the skin intact
- Mix the garlic and the pork chops flavor to taste with black pepper and salt
- Put in a airtight container put in the freezer overnight
Before we fry the Pork chops, make sure it is thawed completely.
- Use a non-stick Pan grease it with just enough cooking oil to cover about 1 mm on the side of the Pork chop
- Use high heat until the Oil heats up, then lower the heat to medium
- Put the Pork chops and cover the Pan.
Cook each side until the bone is dry or you see some brown parts on the meat. Maybe this is about 5 mins each side. After all the sides are cooked take the Pork chops out. Don’t clean this pan, we still going to use it from the following steps.
- Using the same pan on medium heat (add oil if necessary)
- Cook the Onions until caramelized
- Mix the butter and mushrooms
- Mix the broth when the butter is completely melted
- Mix the garlic powder
- Bring to boil
- Make sure the garlic powder is dissolved completely
- Mix the corn starch thoroughly until there are no lumps.
- Lower the heat
- Mix the Pork chops
- Make sure the Pork chop hits the pan (not floating on the gravy) and is entirely covered with gravy.
- Cover the pan to reduce.
When enough is reduced and the gravy is thick to liking turn off the heat and let it rest about 2 mins. Serve with rice and enjoy!